Followers

Friday, August 20, 2010

Humor and Aging

"It is just a sports injury!" I have been using that line lately to explain away my aches and pains while attempting to be humorous. A friend of mine and I always blame our joint issues on recent gymnastics or football activities. When I was younger, I swore that I would never be like the old people in my life--always talking about their aches and pains. It was sooooo boring! I remember that promise to myself as I am tempted to talk about my own "sports injuries".

When we fear something-like getting older-humor is an effective coping skill. We laugh about the things that we are afraid of. As boomers start the aging process, the humorous emails about aging are becoming more frequent in my "In Box". Here are a few of my favorites:

"I made a cover for my hearing aid and now I have what they call blue teeth, I think"

"I am retired. I was tired yesterday and I am tired again today".

"I'm so old that when I eat out, they ask for my money up front".

"Your secrets are safe with your friends, because they can't remember them either."

This is my own actual joke....or maybe not!
"My daughter calls at 9:00 p.m. and asks, "did I wake you up?" Actually you did honey....but I am so glad you called!

Actually, I really do love this time in my boomer life......10 grandchildren and the freedom to pursue my interests incuding education and humor! What more could a sports injured body ask for?

Oh yeah----a recent ad that I saw------" Cremation? Think outside the box!"

4 comments:

  1. I always get a special joy when my children describe an elderly person as even older than me. I just whack 'em with my cane.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a boy 12 and a daughter who is 6, and for the most part, I can handle them calling me "the OOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLDDDDDD man", as long as there is no contempt in the tone of voice. But the boy child has expressed concern for my passing to his mother. And he can't wait for the day he is stronger than I am, so I am going to the gym right now. He will have no mercy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Mary Kay! Your blog is wonderful! Looking forward to more posts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your comments......I love the humor that is emerging from our aging population!

    ReplyDelete