Followers

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Retired educator workshop today

The stories I heard today from the retired educators in my workshop session were amazing. One teacher began teaching in 1939 in a one room schoolhouse. Her stories of having Japanese students during World War II and how they were treated was heart-breaking. These students ended up in the USA style "concentration camps" with their parents and she described the day that she last saw them and said it was one of the most difficult days of her life as a teacher. She also described all of her class gathering around the radio when World War II was declared by Congress.

As I shared the importance of humor in the teaching process, I was overwhelmed by the experience of the over 100 educators in the room, and even more amazed when I realized how many people had been taught and loved by these folks. There were numerous comments by folks encouraging me to continue to reach as many young teachers as possible with the message of the importance of joyful teaching and the use of humor.

Very affirming and inspirational day!

No comments:

Post a Comment